Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Mushroom Turnovers with Spinach Salad



Tonight's dinner was a bit of a fiasco...I'll explain along the way...
Serves: 4 Prep: 30 min Bake: 20 min
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 scallions, thinly sliced (Here is the first problem. I didn't know what scallions were - although I was sure they were similar to green onions. A search of the grocery store revealed no scallions, so I thought I needed a fancy grocery store instead of the Price Chopper I was standing in. A quick search of wikipedia revealed that scallions are green onions; they're just called scallions in the States and green onions in Canada. Argh.)
Grated peel and juice of 1/2 lemon
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into small pieces
One 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 cups baby spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer to a bowl along with the parsley, scallions (green onions!!) and lemon peel
5. Season with salt and pepper
6. Stir in the cream cheese and 1 teaspoon lemon juice
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 puff pastry sheet to an 11-inch square, then halve it. (Okay, there are two problems with this step. Problem one is that apparently when a recipe says "roll" they mean to bust out your handy-dandy rolling pin and go to town. Problem is, I don't have a handy-dandy rolling pin. I do, however, have a can of Habitant soup covered in tin foil. I've never cooked with puff pastry before, and sort of thought it would be like Pilsbury dough and just pop out and be ready to go. Not the case. The second problem is the same problem with all these recipes - they're all too American! Give me some metric here! Eleven inches? I can't picture that! Argh.)
8. Repeat with the other pastry sheet (using either a rolling pin or a can of Habitant soup, whatever works)
9. Arrange one-quarter of the filling crosswise on 1 half of each piece of pastry leaving a 1/2 inch border.
10. Brush the borders with some egg, then fold the pastry to enclose the filling.
11. Cut two vents into each turnover and crimp the edges, transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet (Again, no parchment paper here, but tin foil worked fine)
12. Brush the tops with more egg
13. Bake until puffed and golden-brown, about 18 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes. (This part is important - I neglected to let the food rest - as I so often do - and ended up with a burned roof of my mouth...again.)
14. In a serving bowl, whish together the remaining lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and petter
15. Add the spinach and toss. Serve with the turnovers.
The spinach didn't turn out the greatest. I didn't have enough left and had too much dressing made, so it was a little wonky. The turnovers were great though - lovely and flaky with yummy creamy filling. These turned out to be enormous though - be hungry when you make them! We have lots left over for lunch tomorrow though!

5 comments:

Blam said...

Eleven inches? I can't picture that!
*cough*
Wow. Puff pasty with mushrooms, cream cheese, and spinach... I really have to at least try to start cooking again.
I was never a, uh, master baker, by the way, but if you're playing Julie & Julia you probably want a rolling pin and parchment paper on hand.
...
VW: preamons — Really, really, really old Egyptian gods.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Palindrome said...

mmmmm, that looks delicious!!

@Blam- LOL!

ashlie said...

I knew someone would get that joke in there, I'm so glad it was you Blam! I know, I'm going to have to step up my game if I want to keep cooking meals that don't just come out of a box or the freezer...

Falen said...

that looks delish. i'm going to try and make it in a few weeks.

for future reference, 11 inches is the length of a piece of printer paper, so if you can picture that then you're set with the 11 inches

ashlie said...

Ah - good thinkin' Falen! I was trying to use Subway measuring - "This is almost the size of a full sub..."