Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Broccoli-Chicken Bowls


I only have two meals left after this one! What will I do then? Quizno's might be calling my name...

Tonight's dinner turned out well - it was pretty simple and was very tasty. I of course had to make things more difficult on myself by not buying boneless, skinless chicken thighs and instead fought with my bone-filled, skin-covered chicken thighs. (But they were cheaper!)

Here's the recipe...

Serves: 4 Prep: 10 min (plus standing) Cook: 20 min

1 1/2 cups rice
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (Can I just mention that whenever I see "garlic, thinly sliced" in a recipe I immediately think of the scene in Goodfellas where Henry is talking about what their food is like in jail and how the one makes this amazing sauce because he slices the garlic super-thin with a razor so that it just melts when you cook it. Seriously, this scene runs through my head as I slice garlic. I might watch too many movies.)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
salt and pepper
3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch broccoli - broken into florets and stalks trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced
2 scallions (Green onions!!), white and green portions thinly sliced separately

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice and 3 cups water to a boil; lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. (Or just cook some Minute Rice like I did. It's a lot easier.)
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together half of the garlic, the soy sauce, sugar and 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch; season with salt and pepper
3. Add the chicken and toss; let stand for 20 minutes
4. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup water and the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch (I have no idea why this direction is this early in the recipe. If you whisk it now, it'll settle and harden by the time you're ready for it, so I don't know why they don't just tell you to do it later.)
5. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and the remaining garlic over medium-high heat.
6. Add the broccoli stalks, season with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute
7. Add 1/4 cup water and the broccoli florets, cover and steam until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Transfer the broccoli to a plate
8. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and heat until hot. Add the chicken mixture and scallion whites and cook, stirring, until the chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes
9. Stir in the broccoli, then stir in the remaining cornstarch mixture.
10. Cook until the liquid thickens, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the scallion greens. Serve with the rice.

This was good, we both really liked it. I think it might be tight to feed 4 people though. I had one serving, Jagger had like 1 1/2 servings and there's a bit leftover for me to have for lunch tomorrow. The next time I make it, I think I would mix it up with some more veggies in it for some variety - mushrooms and cashews sound divine.

Tomorrow it's shrimp and corn quesadillas with avocado salad. I'm pretty stoked to see how it turns out!

3 comments:

Joan Crawford said...

I immediately think of the scene in Goodfellas where Henry is talking about what their food is like in jail and how the one makes this amazing sauce because he slices the garlic super-thin with a razor so that it just melts when you cook it.

Hahaha! Yes! And that Ray Liota - what an adorable little devil face he has. Him and his weird mouth and his pretty girl eyes.

God love ya for fighting with the skin on, bone-in thighs. I did it once and then never again!

ashlie said...

And Jagger came home tonight with Goodfellas on Blu-Ray! I was pretty excited to see that! Love that movie! I'm glad you don't think I'm nuts for making that connection! If I start actually trying to use razor blades as cooking supplies, I think I'll have to admit that I have a problem though...

PMAC said...

These recipes all look delicious! I'm going to have to try them all!! Thanks for the tips too!