Friday, 8 January 2010

Outlook for 2010

So, here goes. I don't like making resolutions, never have. Instead, I'm going more along the lines of hopes and goals for the year.

2010 is shaping up to be a very big year, so laying it all out in a list will hopefully help me keep things straight.

1. Find our first home. This is the big one. We're starting the house hunt, and we're both super excited and super scared.
2. Work on growing a person. Once we have the house, we're ready to start trying to fill it up. My sister is having a baby in May, and it would be awesome if there were cousins who are close in age.
3. Make our new house a home. This is really exciting to me. The idea of finding unique pieces to fill our house and make it special is something that I've been waiting to do for a long time. It's just not the same with an apartment.
4. In order to make our house a home, I would really like to find some fantastic vintage pieces of furniture and work on refinishing them myself.
5. Along the same lines, I want to get myself a new sewing machine and learn how to use it. I have big plans for pillow making and who knows what else I'll get into!
6. Keep track of the books I read. I mentioned this in my last post, I've started keeping track of the books that I read. I think it will be fun to look back at the end of the year and see all the ground I've covered.
7. Try to be more creative in the kitchen. I tend to fall back on the staples, but I blame this on the fact that our current kitchen is basically a closet. My hope is that once we have a house, I'll be free to cook more interesting and complicated things.
8. Host parties! I can't wait to have the room to be able to invite people over. We've already decided that we're having a cheeseburger picnic themed housewarming party - I can't wait!
9. Take care of myself. Not only physically, but financially. I would really like to make some good headway on my debt this year. This is definitely easier said than done!
10. Enjoy a satisfying finale to LOST. Oh yes, 2010 is a big year indeed. Come May, we'll know how LOST all ends, and I am confident that Darlton will not disappoint us.

Okay, I think ten is enough. What about you? Any hopes, wishes, plans, goals for 2010?

3 comments:

PMAC said...

Great goals Ashlie! From my experience, refinish furniture and finish any sewing before you fill your house with babies! Or it will never get done! :) At least for a few years anyway!

Anonymous said...

One easy thing to do for your home sewing wise is curtains. I did that when I had my house back in the day. It gives you more options with the fabric you want to use in order to get it to match the rest of the decor and its super easy.

Posting the years goals on line for the world to see if very brave of you!! I always fail at new years resolutions. My only one is the same as the rest of the worlds.... lose some weight. I would like to lose about 20 lbs. i want to be back to around the weight I was when i met kyle. We will see how that goes, not so well so far. Had me a big bowl of heavenly hash ice cream tonight!

Lisa

ashlie said...

Thanks for the tips, guys! There's so much that I have been wanting to do crafty-wise, but I just plain old don't have the room here. The only real work surface I have in the living room is the coffee table, which is also the "dining room table" so it's made it hard - wedding planning was definitely a challenge! I can't wait to have more room in a house!

Lisa, I can't imagine you losing 20 lbs! You look amazing, but if that's the goal you want to set for yourself then I wish you all the best! There's always room for ice cream though!