Wednesday, 18 November 2009

The Greater Good

Today is a very special day for my family. My mom does foster care and today we have to say goodbye to our littlest family member, who I'll call J.

J came to live with us when she was a week old and has been with us for her first year of life. In that time, we've had so much fun with her and have watched her grow into the sweetest little girl you could possibly imagine.

Seeing my mom so selflessly love and care for her has been truly awe-inspiring. Just when I think my mom couldn't be any more of my personal hero, she goes and does something like this.

J is lucky enough to have been adopted by a wonderful family, so today is our goodbye day with her. I know it won't be goodbye forever, that we'll get visits with her in the future and will be able to send her gifts and notes, but today definitely marks a change for my family. We just try to focus on the positive, that this is the best possible outcome for J, and that's what's important.

Today we're going to take her to Build-A-Bear so she has something special to take with her and we're going to get her 1 year pictures taken.

I've had my meltdowns and crying sessions over the last few weeks and I think at this point I'm feeling good about the change. As hard as it is to see her go, it's an amazing thought to think that we were able to be there for her for her first year when she needed a family, and that soon we'll have the chance to do the same for another baby.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm speechless. J has been so lucky to have such a wonderful family for the first year of her life. You guys have shown her what unconditional love is, and that's something she'll take with her for the rest of her life.

PMAC said...

Your mom is my hero! That has got to be one of the toughest jobs there is. Best of luck to you and your family Ashlie, J is lucky to have you guys!