Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Makeup

So, for many reasons, I've been super broke these last couple of weeks. Just coming back from vacation and everything else has added up to me being pathetic. Normally I'm okay from paycheque to paycheque, but this one was rough, I haven't been this broke for a while. So, of course it makes sense that this is when I run out of makeup.

I haven't really worn makeup for about 3 weeks now. I ran out of primer a little while ago, and I always figure I can live without it for a bit, until the next pay or something. Then I ran out of foundation. After carefully scraping out the bottle with Q-tips for a few days, I had to admit defeat. See, the problem is that I wear somewhat expensive makeup. My skin is stupid, and breaks out easily. I've found that Smashbox stuff works the best, it keeps my skin clear and lasts for a long time (not long enough though, obviously) and gives me everything that I need. The problem is that a bottle of primer is $45 and a bottle of foundation is $45. I shouldn't complain, because they do last a really long time. I think the last time I bought makeup was in March, so that's like 5 months or so. Still, it sucks having to shell out $100 for two tiny little tubes. I also tend to get talked into buying something else, I don't know why. I'm not a big makeup wearer, but I love the idea of makeup. I get all excited over little brushes and wands and all kinds of exciting new things. Smashbox usually has some awesome gift set too, that's like $80 worth of stuff for $30 and then I get suckered into that too. Of course, I might try something new for a week or so, but then it's back to my usual 5 minute routine of primer, foundation, blush (just so I don't look frighteningly pale) and some eye shadow (which I apply using my fingers. I don't know why, but I can't stand putting eye makeup on with a brush). That's it. Putting on eyeliner and mascara is a sign that I'm definitely done up for something.

I'm not against wearing makeup or anything, and I definitely like the look when I do put some effort into it, but the bottom line is that I would rather sleep for five extra minutes than get up and take the time to put on makeup. This would also explain why I get to work at 7:59 every morning with hair that I didn't finish drying and a yogurt in my purse because I haven't eaten breakfast yet. Laziness trumps vanity.

No comments: